Monday 16 April 2018

drawing hunger

It has been raining a lot. Despite that I have my annual hay fever with the mental fog it creates. The days after the trip have been difficult, as lack of energy affects all aspects of life. 


Took the kids to the library today to get their weekly supply of comic books and whatever other ones they like. Picked a few picture books, then found myself sitting by the toys drawing toddlers on paper intended for writing. I was able to record very little. It takes some time to warm up, but the result didn't matter. I felt the mental shift observational drawing causes, a blissful state of paying attention, as well as my hunger to be doing exactly that. Watching and recording. It was strange."Have I forgotten how good this feels? Why haven't I been doing it lately?" Then a phone call interrupted my drawing and we had to go. 



I got to draw a bit more after that with my left hand. Another thing I love. No judgement, COMPLETELY different process, where I just watch what is happening. I don't seem to be drawing, and all of my attention is on the person/object. The eye also freely moves from one thing to another. The bottle is as important as the nose. In my other hand mode I dislike objects, but this one doesn't discriminate. Despite the lack of control, or the wobbliness of the lines, the people end up looking like themselves. 


Later I had to draw a piglet scene for two siblings, and I think it came out nice. So I am sharing it.



And I am very sorry if nobody needed to know all this...

No comments:

Post a Comment